The final step in project planning is writing out a work plan. A work plan is a summary of how you will complete the project and contains a list of personell working on the project and other necessary information. Here are some items that can be included in a work plan.
- Description of how the project will be completed.
- Identify mission and objectives.
- Create step-by-step plan showing separate tasks and activities, the outcomes that lead to deliverables.
- Estimate effort and duration of each task
- Determine each person’s responsibilities in team.
- Establish a project calendar—sequence and timing of activities.
- Estimate a project budget.
- Other resources
- Summarize the deliverables (results) of the project.
Often the work plan is written as a proposal either attached to a memo (inside the company) or with a cover letter (outside the company). In this case the memo or cover letter will give a brief overview of the project, why it is necessary, etc. It would also include the completion date and contact information of the person to be contacted about the project.